Today I was suppose to teach some makeup piano lessons. Anyway the student who was suppose to come at 4:30 showed up at 3:30, right on top of another student. I had just finished lifting and didn't get there till about 3:35. I was in trouble. I had two students at the piano, Mom doing lessons in the basement, another student coming at 4:00, and two half hour lessons to teach in 25 minutes. Talk about stress!
Thank God I didn't do anything else except pray right then that I would survive the next hour without blowing up.
After I prayed, I took a deep breath and God gave me a plan to work through those two lessons.
It's amazing how sometimes you see hard things coming from a distance and can prepare for them, and others just blow up in your face!
This was a definite blow up moment.
Anyway back to my story.
The kid who was supposed to go first, I had get ready while I sent the other girl to play the keyboard in the basement. The first one is not taking lessons over the summer so it was a fairly fast lesson since she didn't need to do more songs. Then while the first one did her theory(mainly writing), the second came up and did her lesson. Somehow we managed to make it in while only going maybe five minutes over on the time. By this time the third girl had come. So while the second one did her theory, me and the last girl started her lesson. Thank God that somehow he helped me and I just didn't freak out or something.
As the title of this blog states, I am a rebelutionary. That basically means that I don't step down from doing hard things because hard things always make you stronger. As I said earlier, sometimes we don't even have to look for hard things, they just blow up. Now my tendency would be to run when things blow up.
Somewhere......
Very far away.......
The only problem with that is that when I return my collapsed failure would have just increased in size. And the only way to advoid failure is to not do anything.
Well, since I don't really want to be a couch potato my entire life, not doing anything is pretty much ruled out.
Done.....
Finished.........
Of course, the only real failure is the one you fail to get back up from.
One of the great things about failure is that when you fail, you learn in hyperspeed. You learn a lot more by doing one thing wrong than by ten thousand right things.
Nobody likes failure. It is just one of the side effects of doing hard things or for that matter about anything. Almost anything you try you will fail a least once, and if you don't fail a least occasionally then you should get off the couch, put away the Xbox, and try something harder for cryin' out loud.
Thomas Edison, inventor of the incadescent light bulb, had his first successful test with the light bulb in October, 1879, but it was not until several months later and over 1000 tries later that he invented a light bulb that would last long enough to be efficient. When asked about his "failures", he replied that they were not failures, he simply found over 1000 ways not to invent the light bulb.
If you are not doing hard things because you think you will fail, I have news for you. You probably will! The question should not be will I fail, but will I keep trying even if I fail?
That is the question I ask you, Will you keep on trying even when you fail?
Donovan Colegrove
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Donovan, I am so impressed by your writing! I did not know you were so talented at it. You should add that to your list of talents.
I like what Thomas Edison had to say. All the 'greats' (famous or not) endured failure and hardships. They overcame, though. It's so important to remember that God never fails us. We fail him, and we even seem to fail ourselves. Thankfully God is always there. I don't honestly know how people survive without putting their trust in God?!
I've been reading "Do Hard Things" and it's really interesting. The part that most spoke to me was the fact that each person has to do what's hard for them. For every person it's so totally different. For me, it's not scary to go to faraway countries, but it's scary for me confront people. (when confrontations are necessary) :);)
OK I took your advice and updated my profile.
Post a Comment