Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Oh Wow! I just finished lifting weights and man is it ever hard! Those weights seem like they are about to break your arms out there. If only you could get stronger without doing anything! Hard work lifting feels like it is about to break my arms but it only makes me stronger.
Hmm....
Kinda reminds me of what I talked about a few posts ago.
Anyway
Now that I think about it, I wonder how much those guys at the World's Strong Man competition had to lift to get to the point where they are. I can't even imagine the kind of work it would take to jump from my piddly little 135 lbs. to over 5 or 600 lbs.
Whew!
I sweat just thinking about it!
Have you ever heard the old (at least I think so) saying, If you don't maintain, it you lose it. Yeah, well that really applies here and in life. If I were to quit lifting today, 1 year from now I doubt I could do 135 much less any more.
It is really interesting. Their are these two elderly ladies that come to my church. One of them is 91 years. She drives herself to church, gets groceries and is often caught doing heavy work(mowing her lawn, taking care of plants, pulling off old gutters, etc.). She is absolutely loved in our church. One winter about two years ago it snowed so bad she could not get her car out of her garage.
So guess what she did.
She walked nearly a half mile across barely plowed roads to get to church!
Anyway..... to the other lady.
This elderly lady is about 75, but she rarely makes it out of her house or to church. She smokes and it tells strongly on her health. In my opinion, she could get around and do things that she won't. This is all because as she aged she stopped doing hard things and became content to sit around and watch TV.
If she had kept doing hard things even as she aged, she would not have near as many health problems. But because she declined to do what was hard, because it was hard, she lost even what she had already been given.
Please don't make the same mistake and become lazy and apathetic when things become harder to do. Hard things always either make you stronger or keep you from losing physical and mental abilities before their time.
Speaking of doing hard things, I am on my way to do the hard thing of mopping the kitchen floor. LOL
Donovan Colegrove

P.S. Doing hard things does not mean that I will never lose my ablities some day. God gave and God can take away. Just don't give it up before He requires it back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the kitchen floor looked great.

Donovan Colegrove said...

Yeah, I really tried hard to make it look good