Friday, May 30, 2008

Where Should My Eyes Be?

I know I said I would post last night, but was unable to. However, I wrote this last night so it counts.
I was reading in my Bible from John chapter 21. The section title is Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish. I would guess most of the readers would know the story, but I will go through a short recap anyway.
Jesus has risen from the dead and appeared twice to the disciples. Peter is restless, so he and five other disciples get in a boat and go fishing all night. When morning come, they have caught nothing.
Just the Jesus comes on the scene. He tells them to throw their nets down on the right side of the boat to find the catch.
Now I am going to quote from the Scriptures, so I get the words exactly right.
Matthew 21:6 says,"When they did they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish." NIV
Well then, someone recognizes Jesus on the shore. Peter, in his eagerness to see Jesus, jumps out of the boat and swims to shore. The others pull the boat over to the shore without ever getting the nets in the boat.
Then I want you to note carefully what happens. Jesus says to bring some fish and "Simon Peter climbed aboard and dragged the net ashore." NIV
The net, which had been more than a match for six, strong, grown men, was being dragged by a single man! What was the difference? The difference was that he had seen Jesus.
This can be applied to our lives. Often we deal with things that are way bigger than we can handle. The minute we look at Jesus though, we suddenly have power not only to do it, but do it with excellence.
Obviously, we cannot see Jesus in physical form right now, so how can we receive strength the way Peter did? The way is through prayer and diligent study of the Word. In God's Word we receive a picture of Jesus and what he has done for us. In your prayer time simply pray and ask God to show you himself.
To see Jesus clearly we must take our eyes off both ourselves and others around us. Just as in our real sight, in order to look at something, we may not look at anything else.
What is amazing is that this is such an important concept that God even requirs it of us. Hebrews 12:2-3 says," Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
In reality nothing, good or bad, matters except looking our Author and Perfector. In 1,000,000 years, nothing we did on earth will matter, except whether we looked for our Creator and Maker, Jesus Christ.
Donovan Colegrove

3 comments:

GPilcher said...

Good thoughts, Donovan! Keep thinking, keep posting and keep your eyes on Jesus!
Blessings,
Pastor Gary Pilcher

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great reminder and your encouraging words! Carla M

Anonymous said...

What a blessing. I never noticed that about Peter bringing in the net alone. Makes me want to dig deeper.

Kathy Pointer