Yes!! I did it! Today I was able to quote in one sitting, all of Galations, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians. I did it in 1 hour with 57 errors. As many of you know, this summer my family is going to go to National Teen Bible Quiz in Green Bay, WI. That is one of the two reasons why I memorized all this. (By the way, if anyone wants to donate to our quiz teen, please contact my mom, gcolegrove@hotmail.com)
The other reason is why I am posting. Psalm 119: 11 states,"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." NIV
So David, the great psalmist tells us that by memorizing God's Word it will help to keep us from sinning. Wow! That is amazing! Simply by spending a few minutes in the Word each day we will keep from drifting down the wrong path.
This is such a simple antidote to such a powerful poison. It isn't like doing a ton of work will prevent us from sinning. Staying in the Word and memorizing God's Word will help us. Really there is no better companion than the Word to help us.
2 Samuel 22:31 says," The Word of God is flawless." NIV
Does anyone one out there have someone to help them not sin who is perfect?
Deteronomy 8:3 shows another aspect, "man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."
So what this verse says is that we cannot live without the word of God. His word should be more precious to us than bread or water. Now we eat bread and drink water. We put them into our body to keep us alive. If God's Word is more precious to us than bread or water, should we not put that into our souls?
When the devil came to tempt Jesus, He answered every single accusation of the devil with the Word of God. Now in the Jewish culture, by the time Jesus would have been 8 or 9, he would have already memorized all of Genesis, Exodous, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Do you think that the Scripture he had memorized did not have something to do with how he rebuked Satan?
Even if you are older, God does not say we can stop studying and memorizing the Word. Psalms 119:11 does not say, When I was young, I hid God's Word in my heart, and now that I am old, I do not sin against you.
No it says, "I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you."
God has given each of us an incredible tool to put in our minds. He calls us to be good stewards both with our brains and with the Word that he has given us. He calls each of us to be holy and without fault. Now if the Word of God is faultless, what can be better to put in our minds?
Donovan Colegrove
Sorry about the shameless fundraising I am doing. LOL
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am Donovan's mom, Rachelle Colegrove. My email address is:
gcolegrove@hotmail.com.
We would appreciate your donations. We still need to raise about $650. Thanks.
Hey, I am one of Donovan teammate in Bible Quiz and if you had been in quiz with him you would know that what he did was amazing. You would never have thought he could even do it.
Just wanted to stop by and say hey! Your mom was my 5th grade teacher and she made us memorize a chapter out of John every month that school year. I am 31 years old and I still know most of what I learned that year...along with most of the verses (and questions!) I memorized in Junior and Senior Bible Quiz. Keep up the good work - it really does stay with you for life!
Post a Comment